This is the post for the week of Monday, April 3, 2017.
Notes for This Week
- Out of town Thursday to Monday: There will be some delays in my responses this weekend. I will be in Savannah, Georgia, to present a paper on infographics.
- All those readings: The reading list this week looks extensive, but the readings are relatively short and all related to your progress reports.
- Tips for your projects: These resources can help you with the design of your projects. Choose whatever is closest to your project
- Overview for April: Here is an tentative overview of the work that will be due during the next few weeks:
Week Work Apr 3 to 7
Progress Reports due Friday, 4/7. Serves as your weekly grade.
No self-assessment due.
Apr 10 to 14 Draft of your guide should be complete.
Groups should be doing peer review.
No self-assessment due, in respect of Passover and Good Friday
Apr 17 to 21 Writing Guide due Friday, 4/21.
Readings for This Week
- Group Progress Report Assignment
- From Technical Writing by Hamlin, Rubio, and DeSilva
- From Style for Students Online: Effective Technical Writing in the Information Age by Schall
- Example Progress Reports
Activities for This Week
- (Optional) Weigh in on the last major project. I originally planned to have you do a presentation of your writing guide, but the publication choices you have made for your group writing guides may not work well for a presentation. As a result, I am opening discussion in #general in Slack for suggestions for what would be the most valuable group writing activity to do for your last major project. You can make a suggestion or add an emoji vote/reaction to someone else’s suggestion. Please use the hashtag #altassignment when you post an idea so that I can find all the suggestions easily.
- Write a progress report on your group Writing Guide. You should be about half-way through work on your writing guide at this point. It’s time to assess what you have done to make sure you are still on track and determine if there are any changes that you need to make.
- Read through the Group Progress Report Assignment. Your group will write and submit one progress report, which will count as the weekly activity grade for all group members.
- Follow the instructions in the Group Progress Report Assignment to ensure that you include all the required information.
- Choose one person to submit the progress report in Canvas for your entire group. The progress report is due by 11:59 PM on Friday, April 7. The grace period ends at 11:59 PM on Tuesday, April 11.
- Continue work on your group’s writing guide. Your team can work on whatever is best for your project. You are in control of your work.